Monday 25 June 2007

Mondays at Toad Hall

Almost every Monday I make chicken stock.
I take off all the meat off the carcass, add it to some water, the left over gravy, vegetables and stuffing, add an onion or two (leaving the skins on for colour), celery if I have it and any other vegetables which look like they should be used (not tomatoes or parsnips, wrong flavours), a bouquet garni (I used to make my own but Waitrose sell very good ones, Tesco ones are revolting, I bought one packet when I had my mammogram, ugh!), and if you can get the chef version of Schartz mixed herbs this is good as well). A Knorr chicken stock cube, I know it's saltier than the others but you cannot beat the flavour. This will simmer happily for 2-4 hours. Then I strain it, retaining any whole onions and carrots.
Come the evening, I will either use the stock to cook rice and towards the end of cooking I add the chicken meat diced, some red and green peppers, and some sweet corn. Or after straining, I will add the chicken, thicken it a little and add some herby dumplings, new potatoes and whatever suitable vegetables I have.
The house smells of delicious home cooking and I feel virtuous (grin).

2 comments:

Susan D said...

Stop, you're making my mouth water. You're like my Mum doesn't let anything go to waste on a chicken, we nearly always soup with the carcass. It's so thick a neighbour calls it soup stew.

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

OMG! It reminds me of my mother too. I suppose she had to be good at something (grin). Sometimes if there are only little chickens in the supermarket, I'll buy two to ensure there is enough to make the stock.