Wednesday 6 June 2007

Tension problems and Bottom Line Thread

I ended up with the top thread tension at very nearly zero and the bobbin quite tight. (It wasn't going to drop easily like it normally does when you test it).

This worked, lovely even stitches with perfect tension top and bottom. Played for a while on my test sample piece then moved over to the quilt. And it worked, then it didn't. I stopped reloaded, did a bit on the sample, went back over to the quilt still it worked, then it didn't. This is very very frustrating. I found the thread every so often was winding itself round the bit of the thread guide which goes up and down (I'm sure this has a technical name but I haven't a clue what it is).

I've found out that this thread is just too springy to go in the top of my machine. As I don't have an alternative thread in the same colour. It's all going to have to all come out and because it's very very fine, the stitches are very very small. What fun......

3 comments:

Anne Wigfull said...

Sally,in the past I've had awful problems with bottom line in the needle. I use the knee lift on m machine all the time and I discovered (eventually) that what was an adequate touch to lift the foot up it wasn't enough to open all the tension thingies enough for the thread to go where it should. Once that was resolved to my satisfaction I had to work out why the %$£% thread kept coming out of the needle. Easy, I had the door open, it was a windy day the needle was up.... I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it whisked out. I stopped using the thread cutter and went back to the good old lead in bits.

Rosalind said...

Hi,
I have been using Valdani 50wt on the 440 and had similar problems using it in needle and bobbin.
In the end I put the thread through that metal loop above the horizontal spoolholder to add a little tension to the thread.
I did wonder if it was caused by a "kickback " from the bobbin because of higher tension needed there.
Some bobbincases have a spring to help prevent that.
Wonder if there is any advice on manufacturer's site?
PS love your feathers :o)

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Thanks Anne, different problems on my machine. But I've spoken to loads of quilters today who all have had problems with it (except two).
Thanks Rosalind, I had it through my little loop as it was too springy on the spool holder on the machine and I'd put it on one of those ones you use for cones.
I'll just use it up for piecing.....