Saturday 2 June 2007

Perfect Machine Quilting

A friend is an interior designer. Ages ago she told me of some commercially available wholecloth quilts, she said they were good. I thought I know she likes machine quilting but she cannot have her 'eye' in properly. This week she told me they were reduced to £39 (about $80) for a kingsize. She has so far used seven of them in various houses she has decorated. I like her taste, so I thought I'd get one for our bed and wouldn't worry about the cat leaving hair or foot prints on it.

It arrived yesterday. It is an ivory, off white colour and machine quilted perfectly. I mean seriously perfectly. Not only is the backtracking exactly on the line but most of the time the needle has gone in the exact same place. Only Diane Gaudynski quilts to this level. The stitches are a little big but I hey, I would be proud to have quilted it. It even has grids about ¼" apart and parallel lines even closer together. It must have been made on a computer driven machine but even so the registration it must have to keep 'on the line' is very impressive. I suspect if it were entered in a quilt competition it would win the machine quilting award.

It has left me wondering 'why strive for perfection'? (I'm a long way off). Perhaps I should concentrate on design and just get these guys to make the quilt up?

I'll post some photos up later today.

6 comments:

Celia said...

Sally, where are these quilts made? (I won't be totally amazed if you tell me China!)

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

I don't know, it would make sense for it to be in the far east and the price seems to suggest that but the quality is so superior to the quilts we normally see coming over, I just not sure.
I might ring them tomorrow and ask.

Busylizzie said...

Hi there,
Please would it be possible to say which company? So many I have looked at before had poor workmanship. Thanks for the great pics and many thanks!
Busylizzie

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Hi,
They are available from ebay.co.uk (type in Vienna, then narrow down to bedding) or go to
http://www.thewarehouseoutlet.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=328&strPageHistory=cat

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Ok Blogger lost the end of that link
but the other site they sell them from is the www.thewarehouseoutlet.co.uk
Sally

Busylizzie said...

Thank you so much for posting the company name, just been and ordered from them!
Busylizzie